Teaching Series: This or That
SERIES OVERVIEW: Middle schoolers see themselves primarily through the lens of others—mostly their peers—in this phase. They look at and measure most things about who they are and what they have against that of the people they see around them. Unfortunately, that often means that, without even realizing it, your students are stepping into the constant cycle of comparison. We want our students to know: Our identity shouldn’t come from comparing ourselves to others; our identity should come from what God says about us.
We will hand out these YOU MATTER TO GOD BIBLE VERSES to help them embrace what God says about them.
Week 1: November 7, 2021
- MAIN POINTS:
- (1) God doesn’t compare you to others.
- (2) Remember you matter to God and they matter to God.
- MAIN SCRIPTURES: 2 Corinthians 10:12 & Proverbs 4:23
- JESUS CONNECTION: When Jesus went to the cross to die for our sins, He did that for EVERYONE. He didn’t first measure us, compare us, then go to the cross to only die for some of us, He went to the cross for all of us.
- MSM THIS OR THAT – SGL GUIDE – Wk 1
Week 2: November 14
- MAIN POINTS:
- (1) When we stop comparing, we connect better with Jesus.
- (2) When we stop comparing, we can better celebrate others.
- MAIN SCRIPTURE: 1 Samuel 18:8-9
- OPTIONAL SCRIPTURES: Proverbs 14:30 & 1 Peter 2:13
- JESUS CONNECTION: Peter says jealous is evil in our hearts. The bad news is this evil keeps us from God & Heaven. The good news is God loves us so much He sent His son Jesus to save us.
- MSM THIS OR THAT – SGL GUIDE-Wk2
Week 3: November 21
- MAIN POINT: God wants us to see ourselves the way He does.
- MAIN SCRIPTURE: Romans 12:2 & 6
- JESUS CONNECTION: You were important enough to God that He sent Jesus to die on a cross to save you. If you weren’t loved, if you weren’t valued, why would God do that?
- MSM THIS OR THAT – SGL GUIDE – Wk 3