HSM Teaching Series: More To The Story
TEACHING THEME: Dating + Sexual Integrity
It’s that time of year again, Valentine’s Day is coming, love is in the air, prom is right around the corner and we are talking about dating and sexual integrity in Student Ministry. Integrity means doing the right thing in all circumstances, even if no one is watching. God calls His followers to sexual integrity, which means choosing to respond to sexual attractions, feelings, thoughts, and desires in a way that respects ourselves, others, and God.
MORE TO THE STORY SERIES OVERVIEW
When it comes to sex and dating, your students may think they know the whole story. But somewhere in the messages they’re getting from their friends, the media they consume, and culture, the real story on sex and dating has gotten lost. We want students to see there’s so much more to the story than they realize. And in fact, when it comes to sex and dating, God wants more for their story than they know!
Week 1: Feb 6 + 9
- MAIN POINT: When it comes to God’s plan for sex, there’s more to the story.
- MAIN SCRIPTURES: 1 Corinthians 6:12 NIV + Matthew 22:3B + 1 Thessalonians 4:3-5 NIV
- “I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”—but I will not be mastered by anything.” (1 Corinthians 6:12 NIV)
- “Love your neighbor as yourself.” (Matthew 22:39b NIV)
- “ It is God’s will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality; 4 that each of you should learn to control your own body in a way that is holy and honorable, 5 not in passionate lust like the pagans, who do not know God;” (1 Thessalonians 4:3-5 NIV)
- SECONDARY TEACHING POINTS:
- God wants what is best for us.
- TRUTH: God created and designed sex to be enjoyed by 1 man and 1 woman committed to each other in marriage. (Genesis 2:24 NIV)
- GRACE: God loves all of us and this is a safe place for us to discover who God created us to be, even if we’ve messed up before.
- As followers of Jesus, we CAN and SHOULD become people of sexual integrity.
- JESUS CONNECTION: Grace, love, and forgiveness is offered to us all on the cross.
- HSM Feb – SGL GUIDE Wk 1
Week 2: Feb 13 + 16
- MAIN POINT: Porn never tells the whole story.
- MAIN SCRIPTURES: Ephesians 5:15, Proverbs 14:15, 1 Corinthians 6:18, 1 Corinthians 10:13
- “The simple believe anything, but the prudent give thought to their steps.” (Proverbs 14:15 NIV)
- “Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise.” (Ephesians 5:15 NIV)
- “Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body.” (1 Corinthians 6:18 NIV)
- “No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.” (1 Corinthians 10:13 NIV)
- SECONDARY POINT: Porn is hurtful and damaging: God wants better for us.
- JESUS CONNECTION: By overcoming death, Jesus offers us a path to victory over temptation and sin.
- HSM Feb – SGL GUIDE Wk 2
Week 3: FEB 20 + 23
- MAIN POINT: Sex isn’t casual no matter how casually it’s treated.
- MAIN SCRIPTURES: Romans 12:2, 9-10 NIV
- Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will (Romans 12:2 NIV).
- Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves (Romans 12:9-10 NIV).
- SECONDARY POINT: God calls us to live differently than the world, to be transformed.
- JESUS CONNECTION: Jesus told us not to even lust, none of us can stand up to this perfect standard. And we don’t have to be perfect, because God offers us saving grace when we believe in Jesus as our God.
- HSM Feb – SGL GUIDE Wk 3
Week 4: Feb 27 + March 2
- MAIN POINT: Jesus wants more for your story.
- MAIN SCRIPTURES: John 10:10 + 27 NIV
- “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” (John 10:10 NIV).
- “My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.” (John 10:27 NIV).
- GOSPEL INVITATION + RESPONSE WEEK
- HSM Feb – SGL GUIDE Wk 4