HSM Teaching Series: Habits
Habits are routine behaviors that we tend to do a lot. They’re things that are on repeat in our lives. And our good habits have a way of making our lives better!
Spiritual habits are things we do every day to help us grow in our faith. They’re things that, when we do them, they help us know God better. Spiritual habits help us have a growing and vibrant faith.
Week 1: March 6 + 9
- MAIN POINT: Connecting with God helps us know Him better.
- MAIN SCRIPTURES: Mark 12:30, John 15:5, James 4:8a
- “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength” (Mark 12:30 NIV)
- “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing” (John 15:5)
- “Come near to God and he will come near to you” (James 4:8a NIV)
- GOSPEL INVITATION + RESPONSE WEEK – Prep your speaker and SG leaders.
- NEXT STEP CHALLENGE: Spend 15 minutes a day connecting with God; each campus picks a YouVersion Bible plans together (either the “Habits in High School” that goes with this lesson or another, maybe an Easter devo?)
- Small Group Guide_Wk 1 HSM Habits
Week 2: MARCH 13 + 16
- MAIN POINT: Listening to God helps us know Him better.
- MAIN SCRIPTURES: Psalm 1:1-3 NIV
- “Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, but whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and who meditates on His law day and night. That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither—whatever they do prospers.” (Psalm 1:1-3 NIV).
- CROSS CONNECTION: We don’t read the Bible to earn God’s love, but we read the Bible to get to know more the God who created us and loves us.
- Small Group Guide_Wk 2 HSM Habits
Week 3: MARCH 20 + 23
- MAIN POINT: Talking about God can help us know Him better.
- MAIN SCRIPTURES: 1 Peter 3:15
- “But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect…”
- NEXT STEP CHALLENGE: Who are you inviting to Easter?
- CROSS CONNECTION: Remember, we don’t practice spiritual habits to earn God’s love, but to get to know the God who already loves us more.
- Small Group Guide_Wk 3 HSM Habits
HSM Monthly Study Guide – March Studying God’s Word on our own is an important step in owning our faith. Find ways to encourage students in your group who you think are ready for this step in to complete the HSM monthly inductive Study Guide.