Jesus Said What?!
Jesus said truly amazing things, but sometimes Jesus said some really surprising things. Jesus shocked everyone when he forgave a guilty woman. Jesus confused Nicodemus when he talked about needing to be reborn to be right with God. And did Jesus really say we should be prepared for persecution? We are going to explore each of these conversation Jesus had in the Book of John and how we can apply them to our lives.
Week 1: Sept 12, 2021
- MAIN POINT: Jesus shows mercy and grace to the guilty, and so should we.
- MAIN SCRIPTURE: John 8:1-11 NLT (Jesus + An Adulterous Woman)
- SECONDARY SCRIPTURE: Ephesians 2:8-10 NLT
- JESUS CONNECTION: When we believe in our hearts and admit boldly in front of others or faith in Jesus, our sins are forgiven (mercy) and we receive eternal salvation (grace).
- Gospel Response Week
- Wk 1 Small Group Leader Guide – Jesus
Week 2: Sept 19
- MAIN POINT: Jesus warns rejection will come and He helps us through it.
- SECONDARY POINT: Rejection isn’t the end of the world.
- MAIN SCRIPTURE: John 15:18-27 (Jesus’ Warning)
- SECONDARY SCRIPTURE: 1 John 3:13 NLT
- JESUS CONNECTION: Jesus is no stranger to rejection or pain. He chose to go through rejection and pain on the cross to save us.
- TEACHING + HUDDLE NOTE: Talking about being rejected can be a sensitive subject for middle schoolers because they are in such turmoil about where they belong and if they are liked already. Remind your students they belong with God and are of great value, despite if others accept or reject their faith.
- Wk 2 Small Group Leader Guide – Jesus
Week 3: Sept 26
- MAIN POINT: Jesus came to bring our spirits from death to life.
- SECONDARY POINT: Rebirth is when God’s Spirit gives someone’s spirit new life.
- MAIN SCRIPTURE: John 3:1-7 & 16-17 (Jesus + Nicodemus)
- JESUS CONNECTION: We are reborn when we believe in Jesus.
- Gospel Response Option* – your campus leadership will provide details if your campus is going this direction
- Wk 3 Small Group Leader Guide – Jesus