MSM Teaching Series: Awkward
TEACHING THEME: Dating + Sexual Integrity
It’s that time of year again, Valentine’s Day is coming, love is in the air, prom is right around the corner and we are talking about dating and sexual integrity in Student Ministry. Integrity means doing the right thing in all circumstances, even if no one is watching. God calls His followers to sexual integrity, which means choosing to respond to sexual attractions, feelings, thoughts, and desires in a way that respects ourselves, others, and God.
AWKWARD SERIES OVERVIEW
We are calling this series AWKWARD because we are fully embracing that yes, talking to middle school students at church about dating and sexual integrity – it’s awkward. But we also believe church is the best place to have Biblical discussions about important areas of our lives – and that dating and sexual integrity are too important and influential discussions to skip. We will talk about how God created sex and He created each of us to have sexual desires, how what we do with those desires matters, and how God calls His followers to live with sexual integrity.
Week 1: FEBRUARY 6, 2022
- MAIN POINT: What we do with our desires matters.
- MAIN SCRIPTURE: Romans 12: 1-2 NIV
- Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
- SECONDARY POINTS:
- Our sexual attractions and desires are a part of how God designed us.
- TRUTH: God created and designed sex to be enjoyed by 1 man and 1 woman committed to each other in marriage. (Genesis 2:24 NIV)
- GRACE: God loves all of us and this is a safe place for us to discover who God created us to be.
- Sexual integrity means choosing to respond to sexual attractions, feelings, thoughts and desires in a way that respects God, others, and ourselves.
- JESUS CONNECTION: Sin separates us from God, but God had mercy on us. He sent Jesus to save us and bring us back into a relationship with Him.
- MSM Awkward – SGL GUIDE Wk 1
Week 2: FEBRUARY 13
- MAIN POINT: Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should.
- SECONDARY POINTS:
- We can navigate our sexual desires with integrity.
- We can start living the free and full lives God has for us by:
- Recognizing any obsessions
- Creating boundaries
- Turning to God
- MAIN SCRIPTURE: 1 Corinthians 6:12 & John 10:10
- “I am allowed to do all things, but not everything is good for me to do! Even if I am free to do all things, I will not do them if I think it would be hard for me to stop when I know I should” (1 Corinthians 6:12 NLV).
- “I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full” (John 10:10 NIV).
- JESUS CONNETION: God wants you to have a full and exciting life. That is why He sent Jesus to save us and bring us back into a relationship with God.
- MSM Awkward – SGL GUIDE + Activities Wk 2
Week 3: FEBRUARY 20
- MAIN POINT: How you treat others and yourself matters to God.
- SECONDARY POINTS:
- We have value simply because we are made by God.
- Both respecting others and living with sexual integrity can play out in our lives by the music we listen to, the things we watch, the pictures we post, the friends we try to make, and the way we talk to and think about other people.
- MAIN SCRIPTURE: Matthew 12:30-31 NLT
- “And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength.’ The second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ No other commandment is greater than these” (Mark 12:30-31 NLT)
- JESUS CONNECTION: Because of your value to God, God has paid a heavy price for you by sending Jesus to die on the cross to rescue you from your sins.
- MSM Awkward – SGL GUIDE + Handout Wk 3
Week 4: FEBRUARY 27
- MAIN POINT: Focus on becoming love before looking for love.
- MAIN SCRIPTURE: 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 NLT
- “Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance” (1 Corinthians 13:4-7 NLT).
- GOSPEL INVITATION + RESPONSE WEEK
- MSM Awkward – SGL GUIDE + Handout Wk 4