MSM Teaching Series: Habits
TEACHING THEME: SPIRITUAL HABITS
Habits are routine behaviors that we tend to do a lot. They’re things that are on repeat in our lives. Habits are things we do EVERY DAY. And our good habits? Well, they have a way of making our lives better!
Spiritual habits are things we do every day to help us grow in our faith. They’re things that, when we do them, they help us know God better. Spiritual habits help us have an everyday kind of faith.
Spiritual habits series are designed to inspire students to know God better and empower them with multiple, tangible tools to and live their faith on their own in practical ways. (Including but not limited to spiritual disciplines, prayer, reading the Bible, worship through music, etc.)
HABITS SERIES OVERVIEW
Ever met someone and think, “This person is great! I want to get to know them better.” That’s how some of the best friendships and relationships can start. Well the coolest person we could ever get to know is the One who created us and the world – God. And He created us not to just know facts about Him, but to have a relationship with Him. The goal of this series is to help middle schoolers better know and connect with God by developing some spiritual habits that bring their relationship with God the center of an everyday kind of faith.
Week 1: January 9, 2022
- MAIN POINT: Connecting with God helps us know Him better.
- MAIN SCRIPTURE: John 15:5
- “Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing.”
- JESUS CONNECTION: Sin broke our connection with God. When Jesus died on the cross and rose from the dead, He took away the barrier that was between us and God. He created a way for us to directly connect to God Himself!
- MSM Wk 1 Habits SGL Guide
Week 2: January 16
- MAIN POINT: Listening to God helps us know Him better.
- MAIN SCRIPTURE: Psalm 1:1-3 NIV
- “Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, but whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and who meditates on his law day and night. That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither—whatever they do prospers.”
- JESUS CONNECTION: Sin broke our relationship with God. When we believe Jesus overcame death on the cross, He forgives us and restores our relationship with Him. When we believe we become God’s children and God’s children can hear His voice.
- MSM Habits Wk 2 – SGL Guide
Week 3: January 23
- MAIN POINT: Talking to God helps us know Him better.
- MAIN SCRIPTURE: Ephesians 1:16b-17
- JESUS CONNECTION: God desires a close relationship with us; the more you talk to closer your relationship grows.
- MSM Habits Wk 3- SGL GUIDE
- Student Prayer Journal_Habits_Week3_XP3MS
Week 4: January 30